Wednesday, August 6, 2014

NECESSARY DISCOURAGEMENT


I was supposed to get on a plane to Missoula Montana.  It is not an easy place to get, as there are no direct flights from NY and connecting flight times are extremely limited.  My flight was going to Denver and I would connect to the one and only flight from there into Missoula which was scheduled to leave at 9:13pm and arrive in Montana at 11:08PM.  I came to learn that GOD had a different plan.

Jeremiah 29:11New King James Version (NKJV)
  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 

I arrived at the airport in the necessary 2 hour prior to flight time frame.  Immediately things started to spiral in what seemed to be a bad direction.  I was challenged to make choices between FLESH and SPIRIT!  
  • Would I give attitude or be agreeable.   
My carry on luggage was considered "too big!" Even though previously measured it fit the criteria when it was empty, once it was filled it bulged out and was considered too large.  SO, offering a quick silent prayer within, I surrendered the bag, (sad to say, NOT before I voiced my opinion) and was on my way to the gate.

When I got to the next check in there was NOT a long line, but people around me were anxious and pushing past each other.  I stood in my spot and realized I needed my ticket at this point, so I put my back pack down on the floor and went in to pull out the boarding pass I had printed.  All the while I couldn't help but notice all the bags going by that were BIGGER then my carry-on that was TOO big! My heart was struggling to choose joy and peace instead of anger and resentment!

The EXTREMELY ANXIOUS MAN behind me immediately moved past me even though it was not our turn.  So again, I am sad to say, once I had my ticket in hand I nicely said "EXCUSE ME!"  I took my spot back which was next in line, I walked past the man and went on my way.  Looking back, there was absolutely NO REASON for me to do that, but something about airports and traveling can really bring out the worst in you!
My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.


Then it was the dreaded inspection area!  Everyone was FREAKING!  Taking of shoes & belts, looking for bins to place their stuff in, and in the midst of that chaos, the security people were barking directions. Fully aware of my flesh by now I was confident I had it all together.  I even had my little socks out so when I took my shoes off I did not have to walk barefoot on the floor at LaGuardia International airport  where thousands of bare feet had left their germs!  

Ticket still in hand, I placed my backpack in a bin, along with my Ziploc bag filled with my 3.5 ounce bottles of various liquids and my shoes.  I think I may have thought to myself "smooth sailing from here!" Not realizing my phone was in my pocket and I had my jacket on so I didn't have to carry it, the security woman started yelling at me and barking orders!  

Thankfully, because of the two half failed flesh reactions I already had, I was aware of the choices presenting themselves and I was determined to pass with flying colors!  So, even though it frazzled me, I nicely said "oh, sorry," and I went back and put the two items on the conveyer-belt.  Meanwhile, I was anxious because my bags had gone way up ahead of me and people were flying past me.  

Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.


I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me all around.

 Once I got through security gate I gathered all my items but before I moved on, I took the time to collect myself.  I took a DEEP breath, put my shoes on, and realized MY TICKET WAS GONE! 

Determined not going to go back to the SCREAMING lady, I surveyed a group of security people, prayed for discernment and  picked the friendliest face out of the crowd.  GOD WAS FAITHFUL, because indeed I picked the helpful person who was willing to go back through the gate for me and he found my pass lying on the ground! 

  God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.

  All this in just the few minutes I was in the  airport.  From the curb where my husband dropped me off to this point only 15 or 20 minutes had passed.  I thought to myself, "Ah, I am in SMOOTH SAILING FROM HERE! Now I can go find a seat and wait to board the plane."  

Little did I know there was more to learn, more challenges to face and NECESSARY DISAPPOINTMENT waiting for me ahead!  After trying for weeks to plan this trip and years hoping to take this trip, I had to first accept the fact that my husband could not go with me and then after 8 hours of delays I had to accept the fact that this trip was NOT GOING TO TAKE PLACE!  I was NOT GOING TO MONTANA!  I needed to call my husband and ask him to drive over an hour back to the airport and take me home! 

 

1 comment: